Many people these days have two phones, one for work and one for personal use. Or there can be other reasons why someone would want to have two phones. The question here is can a smartwatch connect to two phones?
No, a smartwatch cannot connect to two phones simultaneously. However, if it’s compatible with both phones, you can unpair the watch from one phone and then pair it with the other.
Most smartwatches today come with LTE connectivity and allow you to make and answer phone calls, send and receive text messages, track fitness data, and control other smart devices in your home. But surprisingly none can be paired to two phones at a time.
Read on to find out why a smartwatch cannot be connected to two phones.
Can A Smartwatch Connect To Two Phones?
Smartwatches by Huami, Mobvoi, and Fossil can connect to both Android and iOS devices, but until now, there is no watch on the market that can be linked to multiple phones at a time.
To find out why you will have to get into the nitty-gritty of smartwatches. You must understand how the smartwatch communicates with your phone.
The smartwatch collects data from onboard sensors and sends it to the paired phone. It also receives notifications and other updates from the phone. The smartphone and smartwatch thus form a symbiotic relationship in which they complement each other’s needs.
Though recently, the introduction of LTE has given smartwatches the ability to function without a phone nearby, there is still a dependency on the smartphone for firmware updates and initial set up.
Almost all companies have programmed their watches in a way that they can only connect to one phone at a time. This is done in order to prevent confusion and chaos with multiple devices trying to control different aspects of the watch.
However, in future updates, it is possible that smartwatches could be made to connect to multiple phones simultaneously or to pair two or multiple smartwatches together so they can share data.
Can Apple Watch Connect With Two or Multiple iPhones?
Apple Watch can only connect to one iPhone at a time, and it is not possible to pair the Apple Watch with any other platform than IOS. Don’t try your luck connecting Apple Watch to two iPhones at the time, it is a lost cause.
Alternatively, iPhone is capable of connecting multiple smartwatches simultaneously. Both watches that you want to pair to the iPhone can be either Apple Watches or from different vendors. There is no restriction on that. For instance, you can pair your latest iPhone with both Apple Watch Series 7 and Fitbit Sense simultaneously.
The following steps will guide you to connect multiple Apple Watches with your iPhone.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on Bluetooth.
- Toggle on Bluetooth if it is not turned on and then Tap on the “i” next to the Apple Watch you want to connect to.
- Next, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and scroll down to find My Watch tab.
- Under the My Watch tab, tap on Pair New Watch and follow the on-screen instructions.
This way, your phone can collect data from two Apple Watches under different profiles in the Apple Health app.
Can The Samsung Galaxy Watch Connect To Two Phones?
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 is the latest release by the company and despite having LTE and Wi-Fi connectivity it can’t be paired with two phones at a time.
However, if you have multiple smartwatches by the company (Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2, Samsung Galaxy Watch 3) you can connect them all to the same phone and can switch between them via the Galaxy Wearable app.
To connect two Galaxy watches two your phone, follow these steps.
- Open the Settings app on your phone and tap on Bluetooth.
- Next, open the Galaxy Wearable app on your phone.
- Here you will see a list of Samsung Wearables, just find the watch you want to pair with the phone and tap on it.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the process.
Can Fitbit Watch Connect With Two Phones?
Like Samsung and Apple, Fitbit also limits the use of their watches to one phone at a time. However, if you have multiple Fitbit watches, you can connect them all to the same phone and switch between them easily.
To connect two Fitbit watches (Fitbit Sense, Fitbit Versa 3,2,1) to your phone, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your phone and tap on Bluetooth.
- Next, open the Fitbit app on your phone.
- If you are using an iPhone, go to the profile icon at the bottom right corner of the screen and select “Device.” And, If you are using an Android phone, go to Menu>My Devices.
- Tap on the “+” sign at the top right corner of the screen and select “Pair Another Fitbit Device.”
- Select the watch you want to pair from the list of available devices and follow the on-screen instructions.
You can now switch between your watches by opening the Fitbit app on your phone.
Can Garmin Watch Connect With Two Phones?
Garmin is not the exception when it comes to smartwatch manufacturers limiting the use of their watches to one phone at a time.
However, If you have multiple Garmin watches (Garmin Forerunner 945, Garmin Vivoactive 4, Garmin Fenix 7) you can connect them all to the same phone and can switch between them easily.
To connect two Garmin watches (Garmin Forerunner 645 Music, Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music) to your phone, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings on your phone and tap on Bluetooth. Turn on the Bluetooth on your smartphone.
- Next, open the Garmin Connect Mobile app on your phone.
- Now go to ‘Settings’ menu and tap on ‘Garmin Devices’
- Tap ‘Add Device’ and follow the on-screen instructions.
Can you connect Amazfit to two Phones?
No, Amazfit does not allow the connection with two phones simultaneously even if the smartphones are running different platforms (IOS and Android). Also, you can pair two or multiple Amazfit watches with a single phone, but keep in mind that only 1 watch would be available to track activities and receive notifications. Whenever one Amazfit is active, the other one goes into dormant mode.
Can you connect WearOS/Android watches to two Phones?
No, you can’t connect WearOS/Android watches to two phones simultaneously. Android Wear OS does not support this function, and you can only pair Wear Powered watch(es) with one phone simultaneously.
If you try to add another phone while the watch is connected to one phone, your watch will need to be disconnected from the old phone and a factory reset sometimes before you connect it with the new phone.
However, you can connect multiple WearOS watches with a single phone. But there is a limitation. The smartphone needs to be powered by Android only.
To link two Android Wear OS watches to one phone, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your phone and turn on Bluetooth.
- Next, open the Wear OS app on your phone.
- Find the down arrow next to the connected watch’s name and tap on it.
- Select the watch you want to pair from the list of available devices, and follow the on-screen instruction.
You can now switch between your watches by opening the Google Fit app on your phone.