Most Garmin watches these days have ANT+ compatibility. This allows users to connect external sensors to the Garmin watch for better accuracy. While Garmin has its own staple of external sensors (Tempe, Speed Sensor 2, Cadence Sensor 2), we can also connect similar ones from other brands to a Garmin Watch.
Polar H-10 sensors sensor is typically used for endurance sports like running, cycling and swimming. It comes in a chest strap that wraps around your chest, providing more accurate heart rate data than wrist-worn monitors. By far, it is one of the best Bluetooth chest straps for the Apple Watch.
Polar H-10+ along with the Wahoo Fitness Tickr X is considered one of the best chest straps available in the market. But the former is inexpensive and is almost as capable and the other. It is designed for maximum comfort and is fitted with high-quality electrodes. Plus, they receive regular over-the-air updates to ensure your device has all of the latest features and remains as effective as possible.
Though previously it was almost impossible, in 2019 Polar added support for Garmin’s ANT+. In essence, it allowed users to connect their H10 chest straps (or any other Polar Strap) directly to their Garmin smartwatch.
To pair the Polar H10 to your Garmin device for the first time, perform the following steps:
- Turn on the Polar H10 and put it around the chest so that it can monitor your heart rate. Before pairing, make sure the sensor and the watch are close together.
- The ANT+ on the Garmin watch is enabled by default, but if it isn’t, enable it through the Polar Beat App. (Polar Beat App >>Settings>> HR Sensor> Enable ANT+.
- Next, you will have to open the settings on your watch. Follow the instruction in the given order.
- Menu >> Settings >> Sensors and Accessories>>Select ‘Add New’>>Scroll to Running Dynamic Pod/RD Pod>>Select and the watch would start searching for Polar H10 Sensor, tap ‘Select to Add’, And Bingo! Your Polar H10+ Strap would be now successfully connected to the Garmin Watch.
If you still have trouble pairing your Polar H10 and Garmin watch, please try:
– Restarting the device by turning it off and then on again.
– Trying to pair the devices again.
On your Garmin watch, go to Menu >My Stats >Recovery Advisor
Turn it off and back on again
The Garmin would search again for a Heart Rate Monitor and connect to your Polar H10.
The last method is rather risky as it would erase all the data from your watch. You would have to unpair all sensors that have a pairing profile. Next, you will have to reset the device (You will have to hold the power button for 15 seconds to turn off.
Garmin has provided users the following instructions:
Performing a Master Reset
- Ensure the watch is powered off
- Press and hold Back/Lap
- Power on the watch while continuing to hold Back/Lap
- Release Back/Lap once the Clear user data message appears.
- Select ‘Yes’.
The watch must go to ‘Initial Setup’, and if not, try the above discussed steps in detail.