Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and 4 Classic are the latest versions of the Galaxy Watch. The Korean-based giant has ditched its proprietary Tizen OS in favor of Google Wear OS on these watches.
Also introduced was the brand new Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis sensor for tracking body fats. A faster Exynos Chip backs its performance, and the storage was doubled to 16 GB.
Related Post: 15 Galaxy Watch 4/4 Classic Tips and Tricks
However, one feature remained unchanged from the older versions of the Galaxy Watch: you can make, receive, or answer calls on the Galaxy Watch 4 & 4 Classic.
Galaxy Watch 4 Series comes in two connectivity options: LTE vs Bluetooth. The Bluetooth model can make calls only when it’s connected to a smartphone. Whereas the LTE model can make calls without a phone, it will use the watch’s data.
Galaxy watch 4 Bluetooth Calling With Phone:
To make a call with the Bluetooth model of the Galaxy Watch 4, you must have a smartphone paired with your watch.
- Make sure that the paired smartphone has a cellular network and plan.
- Open the Phone app on the watch.
- Dial any valid number you want by using the on-screen keyboard, or voice dictate your number by pressing the mic icon.
- You can also pick a number from your contacts. (The watch can pull contacts of the connected phone)
- Once you have dialed the number or have selected the contact, tap on the green phone icon.
- Your call will be connected in a few seconds.
The watch uses the cellular plan of the phone in this method.
You can switch the call to the phone or can swap between calls.
To reject or end a call, just swipe up the red phone icon.
Now, if you want to make calls on Galaxy Watch 4 without a phone, you must have an LTE model with eSIM activated. Let’s show you how you can activate eSIM on GW4 or 4 Classic.
How do I activate eSIM on the Samsung watch 4/4Classic?
To activate eSIM on the watch, you must have the watch connected to a smartphone. Also, you need the Galaxy Wearable app to activate the eSIM. Follow the steps below.
- Open the Galaxy Wearable app on the connected smartphone.
- Tap on Watch Settings
- Scroll down and find & tap on ‘Mobile Plan’
- The App will start looking for available eSIM plans for your carrier
- If you were able to find any supported carrier, tap on it and follow the on-screen instruction to activate eSIM.
Also, You can manually enter the eSIM configuration by scanning a QR code.
Galaxy watch 4 LTE Calling Without Phone:
Once your GW4 LTE has a carrier plan enabled.
- Enable the LTE connectivity from the quick access menu
- Open the Phone app
- Dial or select a phone number
- Press the Green Phone Icon and your call will be connected.
- The watch will use its data to make calls without depending on the smartphone.
You can select the same carrier provider (Let’s say AT&T) for both the Galaxy watch and your smartphone. This way, the Galaxy Watch uses the same number as your phone.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I know if my Galaxy Watch 4 is LTE??
To find out whether your Galaxy Watch 4 is LTE, check its model number. Open Settings on the watch then navigate to About Watch>> Device>>View Model Numer.
If you own a Galaxy Watch 4, find the model number of your watch in this list.
If you own a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, find the model number of your watch in this list.
In case you were unable to find the model number of your watch in this list, you own a Bluetooth Model of the watch and therefore cannot make standalone calls from the watch.
How far can Samsung watch 4 be from phone?
Your Samsung Watch 4, both the LTE and Bluetooth model, can be as far as the phone as you want as they are not an extension of a smartphone. You can use your Galaxy Watch without any paired smartphone.
However, if you have a Galaxy Watch 4 BT and if your question is related to making calls with it using the phone, you must be in close proximity to the phone (25-30 ft).
Does the Galaxy Watch 4 have a microphone Or Speaker?
The Galaxy Watch 4 has a microphone and a speaker. You can use the watch to answer calls, record voice memos, or control voice assistant. The mic quality is quite good, but the tiny speaker cannot possibly offer the same experience as that of a smartphone.
The Galaxy Watch 4 is a great companion device that offers plenty of features and functions. The watch is LTE enabled and can be used to make standalone calls without depending on the phone. However, if you are using a Bluetooth model, you will need to be in close proximity to the phone.